Ever go into a meeting where clients have asked you questions that you didn't know the answer to? No, that's never happened to me either. But a friend of mine thought every time he went into a meeting where a client asked him a (sensible) question he didn't know the answer to, he would list it here so that others could ponder the answers.I'll list the answers if I find them - Whoops - I mean if he finds them.
- Can the mysites left hand side nav contain different items by default on creation?
- Can you prevent users from creating subsites under my sites?
- Apparently yes - http://www.sharepointblogs.com/tbaginski/archive/2006/11/14/how-to-prevent-creation-of-sub-sites-within-moss-2007-my-sites.aspx
- Can you change the users display name?
- Yes. - http://www.21apps.com/sharepoint/user-profiles-why-do-my-changes-not-show-in-other-sites/ Basically just need to change or remap the name field in user profile properties in Central Admin.
- Once users are imported from AD, can you clear them all out?
SharePoint out of the box supports only one way replication of user from AD to SharePoint which ofcourse means that when users update their profiles in their Mysites it doesn;t get replicated back to AD.
Even worse, their properties can get overwritten during the next profile import from AD.
The 2 recommended methods for updating AD from SharePoint that I have heard of are..
- Microsoft Identity Lifecycle manager
- Bamboo Solutions User Sync
From my little research the Bamboo Solutions seems to be a lot better. - ee review here - http://www.sharepointreviews.com/component/content/article/50-user-management/102-User-Profile-Sync-Web-Part-by-Bamboo-Solutions.html
ILM requires creating an import file from SharePoint - Already sounds too complicated if you ask me.
If anyone has experience with this, I would love to hear some feedback.I will probably end up using the Bamboo Solution so will be able to provide some feedback soon.