Cloud based services are becoming more popular as more organisations recognise the costs savings that come from letting someone else manage your software and infrastructure. So what does it mean for companies wanting to deploy SharePoint in the cloud?
- Less expertise required to get up and running
- Guaranteed up times
- Less maintenance. Back ups and updates are done for you
- Add on services – Office 365 can provide a full suite of tools including LYNC (Communications Server), Hosted Exchange, Dynamics CRM
- Cheap if you have 10 or less users.
- There is a minimal custom SharePoint Development allowed. Forget third party add-ons or customising the look and feel too much
- It won’t be as fast as an in house system. Especially when uploading and downloading documents
- You can’t integrate it with other systems you have on premises
- You need to run Federated Active Directory services so that your users can be imported into SharePoint
If you are a small company that just needs the built in SharePoint functions and isn’t concerned about the look and feel of their site and especially if you don’t have in house IT support then Office 365 is probably a good solution.
If you are a larger organisation who’s needs may grow to require custom functionality then we wouldn’t advise at this point. Plans start at approx. $8 per user per month and go up significantly depending on your plan so it is cheap if you only have a few users.
If you would like to discuss SharePoint Design, SharePoint Customisation or SharePoint Development call Webcoda to speak to one of our SharePoint Experts!