People Search in FAST returning no results

17. November 2011 04:19 by Tal in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Recently we came across an issue with our SharePoint 2010 people search. It did not work. The All Site scope worked fine but the people search scope did not return any results. We were using SharePoint 2010 FAST search.

The people scope with FAST search was in FAST Query SSA (How does People Search work using Fast?). We needed to look at the FAST search configuration in Central Admin: Manage Service Applications >> Service Applications


We made sure that the Content Sources of the FAST Query SSA had the Start Address set to: sps3://<server name>

We run a full crawl on this content  source. At the end of the crawling process the Crawl Log had one Error: Access denied ..

The Crawler could not access the User Profile. To solve this we needed to allow the crawler access to the User Profile Application. This was done through -  Manage Service Applications >> Service Applications >> User Profile Application. Then add the permission “Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers” to the account which run the FAST Query SSA.

 Finally we re-run full crawl on the FAST Query SSA.



SharePoint 2010 – Make Content and Structure work

17. November 2011 03:41 by Tal in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

The Issue:

Content and Structure did not work. As we clicked on Site Settings > Manage Content and Structure we received the SharePoint 2010 error page.

The Tools:

Starting with a newbie tool: Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Administration Toolkit v2.0

This tool came highly recommended for performing diagnostics. We used SharePoint Diagnostic Studio for connecting to SharePoint 2010 logs. This tool run with Administrator privileges only (right click – Run as administrator )

The goodie – This tool could save looking into the file system. It came with some SharePoint 2010 reports – that looked impressive.

The baddie – It took several minutes to connect. It did not refresh the logs and needed to re-open to reload new logs.

The Clue:

Someone suggested we look into the SharePoint lists to make sure they were working. We clicked on each list and library until we discovered the corrupted list.

One list returned the SharePoint 2010 error page.  How could we remove this list if we could not access it? We tried accessing it from SharePoint 2010 Designer but it did not appear under All Files/Lists. We tried removing it using SharePoint Manager 2010 but received an error message.

This is the error we got when trying to delete the list:
Error log "Failed to determine the setup path of the list schema for feature {123546-423432}, list template

The Solution:

SharePoint 2010 Management Shell (PowerShell).

First we looked for this feature on our site:
Get-SPFeature | Sort - Property Id

This feature was not on our site. Clearly, SharePoint told us already that this feature was missing.

We had to remove the list with force, using PowerShell delete command:

$w = Get-SPWeb "http://hostname
$w.Lists.Delete([System.Guid]$w.Lists["List Name"].ID)

The Conclusion:

We could open and view Site Content and Structure.

Webcoda, SharePoint Consultants & Web Development

SharePoint Development Sydney is a crack team of SharePoint Consultants and SharePoint Developers.

We can't tell you their names or show their faces on TV but if you need a SharePoint job done right, call them on +61 2 9370 3602 or email us at

Persecuted by the Government and shunned by society they developed their SharePoint skills in back streets and labor camps where other programmers wouldn't dare to tread. 

During a trek through the Himalayas they stumpled upon the fabled Mossy Yak who shared his SharePoint knowledge of how to attain Nirvana through a series of Workflows and Event Handlers. Their mission is to spread this knowledge through-out the world to bring peace, harmony and document version control to all .


Month List